Thursday, February 18, 2010

Black Man Confusion

This morning Isabelle was looking at an ad that came in the mail. All of a sudden she got SO excited.
Isabelle: Mom!!! It was his birthday! Look Mom!
Me: Oh, who is that?
Isabelle: I don't remember his name.
Mom: Just try, make a guess.
Isabelle: OH! I remember! It's King Luther!!! (Martin Luther King Jr.)
Mom: (trying VERY hard not to laugh) Oh, uh, no. That's Will Smith.

So I guess they kinda have the same hair-do and they are both black....I think the similarities end there. Although I do like Will Smith and MLKJ, so they have that in common too.
This reminds me of a similar conversation that happened during the Obama election. We were at Walmart checking out and Isabelle got SO excited cause guess who was on the cover of People magazine??? Her Uncle Jotham!!!
Isabelle: Look mom, look!!!!!! It's Uncle Jotham!!!
Mom:Where???? Ummm....nope. Honey that's Barack Obama!

It too was So funny and I tried not to laugh. But I did have a good laugh later with Jacque, Jill & Jamie (Jotham's wife). I think the ONLY thing they have in common is they have similar, and I mean very slightly similar, hair. Other than that I think my daughter was hallucinating.
I mean can you see the resemblance? Jotham is sitting off to the left in this family photo.
The funny thing is that she absolutely LOVES Uncle Jotham. I think she might even have a slight crush. She gets a little shy when he comes around. Probably cause he is so nice to her. He has a way of singling people out in a crowded room and making them feel special. So no wonder she LOVES him! We all love Uncle Jot....but I for one do not think he resembles Obama...just sayin.

4 comments:

  1. yeah she is a little loco. maybe you need to further her educastion on black people. Rent the old Cosby shows maybe that will help her see that they are not all lookalikes. I think her Uncle J should try to impersinate B.O. it would be kinda funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah that would be funny! I LOVE the Cosby show. She would watch it with me when she was smaller...when we had tv...she should be educated...but apparantly not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well.....SOME similarities. They ARE both men after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Emily! Tell me more stories about your dumb daughter! They do make me smile so.

    I think Cosby is a great show for your child's racial education.

    Also: apparently you can make your kid racist by never mentioning race. What! I know!

    ReplyDelete