So here are the pictures from before the surgery! Sorry it took me forever to post them, but it has been a little bit busy around here with school.
I was a little bit nervous before going in, but once I was called back to get prepped my nervousness went away. Matt was able to come back with me and that made me very happy. Once we were in our little waiting room we were just joking around and not doing much. I was busy texting my mom and Matt was busy reading. The nurse came in and put some lovely tights on me. They are supposed to prevent blood clots and I had to wear them for the entire week. I hated them & was gleeful as I threw them away! I also got "cute" blue socks to wear. Matt was insisting I had put them on wrong but there is tread on the top & bottom, so there! Then I got a lovely IV. I hate IVs. they hurt my hand, but that is always where they seem to put them, supposedly my arms are not very good for IVs. Dr. Harrison came in and as you can see in the picture below he initialed my shoulder and wrote "yes." I know they have to do this because surgeons have made mistakes, but it still made me laugh. My kids thought it was pretty funny too.
I put on my awesome blue hat for Matt so he could take my picture. i felt so ghetto!
Here are my not so upside down socks.
I am totally working the hospital gown!
I love this picture of us =)
I talked to the anesthesiologist also and he was very nice too. Then the nurse came and they both walked me back to the surgical room. Matt went to the waiting room. My anesthesiologist asked me how I hurt my shoulder and I told him it was really lame and I was embarrassed to tell him. but I did and he said, "Yeah that is lame. You should tell people you got hurt because you were cage fighting!" And at that moment I knew he was the anesthesiologist for me. So that is the story now folks...I was cage fighting!
I put on my awesome blue hat for Matt so he could take my picture. i felt so ghetto!
Here are my not so upside down socks.
I am totally working the hospital gown!
I love this picture of us =)
I talked to the anesthesiologist also and he was very nice too. Then the nurse came and they both walked me back to the surgical room. Matt went to the waiting room. My anesthesiologist asked me how I hurt my shoulder and I told him it was really lame and I was embarrassed to tell him. but I did and he said, "Yeah that is lame. You should tell people you got hurt because you were cage fighting!" And at that moment I knew he was the anesthesiologist for me. So that is the story now folks...I was cage fighting! I had to lay down on this super narrow table & I totally felt like I was going to fall off. He then did the nerve block using an ultrasound machine and a huge needle...ok it might not have been huge but it hurt like the dickens! So we will just assume it is huge. Then he told me that he was going to give me something to relax & boy did I start to relax. it was great...sigh...how can I get some more of that??? Then they gave me an oxygen mask and told me to breathe deep. he then said he was going to put some stuff in my IV that would make me fall asleep. his exact wording was, "You will be out in about 5 to 10 seconds." HA! 5 to 10 seconds??? Yeah right. That is exactly what I was thinking. i think I even started to count and I don't ever remember getting to 5. The whole thing went so fast and smooth that I didn't even have time to get nervous. I loved it! I always thought surgery would be terrifying and so I was pleasantly surprised. It is only the after surgery part that stinks.
I remember having hazy dreams. i was younger, like 15 maybe. And I can only vaguely remember Joshua being in it. he was probably being obnoxious and talking about poop. Love you Josh! Then someone started saying my name and I got really confused. i just wanted to keep on sleeping. As I started to wake up I couldn't remember where I was and was VERY confused. I just kept looking up at the ceiling and everything was fuzzy because I didn't have my glasses on. I then realized where I was and thought, "Man that was fast!" I was shaking so bad that the nurse put an inflatable blanket on me that was full of warm air. It was so nice. The shaking continued so they gave me Demerol, which made my arm break out in hives, but nowhere else so that was good. They then took me to the next recovery room and put me in a recliner and then brought Matt in to see me. Later as I was thinking about this, I realized that I when I woke up I was in an entirely different bed, my hairnet thingy was gone and I had a huge sling on my arm, that was strapped around my waist. Man these guys are good! I think it would have been funny to see all of that happening. i was probably flopping around. Hahahaha...it makes me laugh just thinking about it! Oh man! If only they had a camera going!
The nurse then gave me an icepack and kept telling me to just rest and go back to sleep. And I just kept thinking that I didn't want to go to sleep, I just wanted to go home! Eventually we left and I sat in the car while Matt picked up my Lortab and some Aleve. Oh and we did go by Great Harvest and he got me a slice of their tomato herb bread and a cinnamon roll. He fed me potato soup when I got home and I ate it with my bread. So yummy. Then I passed out & it was great...The End.
Gosh. I'm glad everything went so smoothly. That is one part of surgery that I hate though- Not remembering one thing. Kinda freaky? haa..haa..
ReplyDeleteSounds like Matt was the best nurse you had. BTW, I HATE Demerol- I had that when I was in labor with Mason and I WAS LOOPY! YIKES!
oh, I totally think you should be a hospital gown model!
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures! Thanks for including them. I love that he initialed your shoulder. What do the initial if you are getting surgery you know where? Hmmmm
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good question Erin! I don't think I want to know!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story!
ReplyDeleteLoved it! Surgeries are one film I want to see when I get to heaven. By then, I figure, we will just be excited we made it back and will want to see all of the things we missed! By sleeping through them! ha ha ha
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun time was had by all!
ReplyDeleteCage fighting? That has to be some amazing exercise. You will have to teach me when you are better.
ReplyDelete