Monday, February 28, 2011

A Big Boy Room For Ben

I cannot even tell you how excited I am about this project Matt and I have undertaken! It makes me smile and gives me warm fuzzies and I can spend all day in this room and stare around and just smile. It's Ben's new room. If you have ever been to our house you know what I am talking about when I say Ben's room is small! It is small and narrow and feels more like a big closet. But it is his room and he loves having it be his own. His furniture has always fit so awkwardly & his bed was too long to place lengthwise against the back wall. it has been a point of frustration for me & I have always hated his room. But now.....it is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here it is! Haha! Just kidding, this is Isabelle's room and Ben temporarily got the top bunk. Feel for the boy, he had to sleep in a pink room!
We decided that a loft bed would be perfect for his room and so we custom built him one. His original bed was the bottom of a bunk bed, it didn't look bad, it just didn't fit good. So we took apart both beds and salvaged wood to build the new bed. We only had to buy a few pieces of wood...so nice!

Matt really got into this project, so it definitely got rolling fast!
See how narrow his room is???

The kids are inspecting the frame. It was torture for them to not be allowed in while mom & dad were working.

We got all of the slats (salvaged!) screwed in place.


And then we built the ladder. That was pretty tricky, but "What's gonna work? Teamwork!" I know you love my feet, I was taking a break =) I wish I had painted my toes...hmmm...another day!

Here is the frame, rail, and ladder & partial priming. It's a mess, but yeah we did let him sleep on it.
I had to putty and sand the walls too.

He is one happy boy!!!!!
But just wait until you see the final pictures...they are amazing!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun...wish I would have had a loft bed when I was Ben's age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing is that? It looks adorable and great already.
    I didn't know that Matt was such a handy-man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I am so excited to see it all finished! So much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it can hold me when I come for my visit! Hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete