I went to bed on Saturday and had some crazy dream about kidney stones...ugh. I woke up at 4 am and realized the pain was no dream. I took some lortab (leftover from my shoulder surgery) and placed a heating pad over my right kidney. I didn't sleep well. And the lortab didn't even touch the pain.
At 8 am Matt called our neighbor to come help give me a blessing. He ended up taking the kids home with him because i told Matt that he had to take me to the emergency room.
Normally when I pass a stone I can handle the pain. it hurts like crazy mad, but with the pain pills it eases the pain and eventually I pass them. I seriously thought i was going to die as I sat in the emergency room. The pain got so bad that I wished someone would just knock me out! Thankfully we had an amazing ER doc, Dr. Bossler and an amazing nurse, Brian. I told Brian he was my new best friend. He was the one who administered the pain meds. They first gave me morphine...I love morphine...but unfortunately the morphine does not reciprocate this love because it did NOTHING for the pain. All hope was gone and I just wanted to die. But then I got another drug and it took the bite off of the pain. And then after a little bit I got a different drug and it did the trick! The pain stopped bothering me. It was heaven.
The Jackson's ended up taking our kids to church since we were still at the hospital. So very, very grateful for them!
They did an ultrasound of my kidney and found the stone. It is 2 cm big people! That is HUGE!!!! They usually measure kidney stones in millimeters...well in millimeters mine is 20 mm. CRAZY! So they sent me home with Percocet (I'm in love with this drug...so so so so much).
I met with a urologist Monday morning and he was amazed by the size of my stone. I told him my mom had one that was slightly bigger than mine. I know, we are amazing! He told me I was a stoner & it cracked me up. So mom and I are stoners. Heehee. I also was not eating anything because I knew I was going to have to have surgery Monday and my stomach had to be empty. I couldn't even have water, although I was still able to take my pain pills with a sip of water.
After waiting for forever I went into surgery a little after 8 pm Monday night. I was dehydrated and felt like crap. My only worry before my surgery was that I hadn't shaved my legs (it had been like 2 weeks people!). Oh well, I'm sure they have seen worse!
I guess after they knocked me out they put me in a tub of water and then blasted that stone. Unfortunately my stone is very hard and I have to do this all over again in a week or so. Ugh....
And apparently my ureter (the tube that goes from your kidney to your bladder) was all mangled up. My Dr. was wondering why I wasn't in my pain because it was so bad. Which makes him wonder what my kidney looks like. Yikes! So I have to have a CT scan to see what damage has been done to my kidney.
So far I haven't passed anything and I think there should have been some small stones coming out. Makes me a little nervous, but I just need to stop worrying about things I can't do anything about. I am still bleeding, which is another concern and if it doesn't stop by tomorrow then I have to call the doctor.
Oh and Tuesday morning I also started my period. Great timing! So not only do i get to deal with massive cramping and pain from the boulder in my side, I also get to deal with the cramping and pain from my period.
But life could be worse, I could be dying and I'm not. I am just so thankful for modern medicine and for Heavenly Father for inspiration he sends down.
Keep me in your prayers please. I am hoping that this passes soon (literally).
Oh Em! I'm SO sorry you are having to go through this awful pain. :( I hear kidney stones are worse than labor...
ReplyDeleteI hope it passes VERY soon!
Love and prayers to YOU!